Thursday, May 21, 2009

Market shopping

Karin:
Went food shopping the other day on the markets, one amazing thing about living in Munich! There is one on a square in the center called Viktualienmarkt and then there is a farmers market next to my house every Wednesday and Saturday. It's so much nicer to brows around on the markets then being at the super market. But it takes time! And, even tough most of the produce is unpackaged they offer you paper wrappers and plastic bags with every thing you get. Tried to avoid it, not as easy as one might think... the german market people generally don't speak english, and I generally don't speak german:( Love the feeling of buying stuff from the producers, dirt on the potatoes makes me feel reassured they are from the ground and not a factory floor... hmm!



So this was the complete result of the shopping spree:



Apart from food I also got some washing liquid in resonably good packaging from the store, spf lotion and British Vogue.... Hmm paper, paper, paper, I was in the magazine store and I was contemplating weather or not to get a magazine since I didn't want the paper on my concience. But then I got super annoyed and thought that, NO, this is where I draw the line! I'm not going to miss out on culture and just sit at home beeing a vegetable. I'm not that keen to save the planet... or am I?? Now I feel super spoilt and bad. Vogue vs a tree... shit, the tree should win, non? Well, done is done, and I'm probaby going to keep buying magazines. I'm not prepared to stop that yet, this is where it starts to hurt for me, giving up on hobbies, interrests and entertaining habits.

Well, I will pass it on to someone once I read it so it will at least be to use for someone more than me...

Pernilla: Karin, I need to go to that farmers market next to you. I keep forgetting. Try to say "NEIN DANKE" to the people who give you bags...otherwise I don't know.
About Vogue - We just bought a newspaper that we will trash pretty soon. But the salesman looked so sad and besides our german teacher say we have to read more magazines.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you need to feel bad about the magazines and newspapers. Most prinstock (I think close to 100% in the UK at least) is from recycled paper these days. In Germany about 70% of the paper is recycled as well, so it is turning into a closed loop.

    ReplyDelete