Monday, May 4, 2009

Shopping = Throwing

Karin:
So obviously our trashing habits are directly related to our shopping habits. The only way to control what we trash is to control what we buy. One thing that I always claim to live by is quality instead of quantity. For example, buying one high quality garment/object that will last for years rather then low quality and having o constantly replace. In the long run my believe is that it's both financially and ecologically more sustainable. Easy in theory... but as a "poor" student reality sometimes look different. However, Pernilla and I had a very good discussion the other day about how you should cosider everything you accuire your responsability from then on. Considering what will happen to it after you get it, how long the lifetime will be and what will happen to it when you no longer want it. Going through that chain in the head one extra time before making a decition to buy something.

I have been looking for a blazer for quite some time and today I found two! One wich was 39€ and another at 125€. My non-paid-internship-wallet told me that the 39€ one was the way to go and I felt that I couldn't argue the extra 86€ even though the other one was nicer. I estimated how many times I would be able to use the cheaper one before it would start looking dodgy and guessed that it would most probably be in the charity-shop-dumpster before next summer. Also style wise it wasn't love, and it has to be love! So I went ahead and got the all-natural-material-well-made one. I have adopted it and I will take care of my baby. Hoping to look smart at client meeting tomorrow and many times to come...


Pernilla: Wow! Nice jacket, plus good moral choice. I hope. I think. Let's hope the quality thing pays off then!

No comments:

Post a Comment